Essay One: Is College the Best Option?
Purpose: The main focus for this essay will be developing a controlling idea, especially a specific, arguable, and complex thesis. In this assignment you will be modeling your essay on textual readings. In addition, you will demonstrate the ability to apply appropriate MLA formatting to the paper.
Minimum Word Count: 900 (about 3 pages) Total Points: 75 (papers will be graded using the rubric posted in the left-hand menu titled Rubrics and Grading Standards)
Texts: They Say, I Say (Introduction, plus Chapters 1-3) Kenyon Commencement Speech (online video) “Should Everyone Go to College?” (208) “The New Liberal Arts?” (226) “Are Too Many People Going to College?” (234) “Two Years are Better Than Four” (255) “Colleges Prepare People for Life” (259) “Blue Collar Brilliance” (272) “Michelle Obama Commencement Speech” (285)
Topic: Using the texts for reference, write an essay in which you assess the value of a college education and discuss whether it is worth the cost. Do the benefits of a college education outweigh the sacrifices it requires, and if so to what extent?
Important Notes: • You must cite at least one source from the readings, but I recommend that you cite more. However, only use the sources listed above. Do not do any additional research because I want you to practice coming up with your own ideas. (You will conduct outside research later in the course!) • Be sure that you are building a complex thesis. Ask yourself whether someone might disagree with your argument. • You should consider how to measure slippery concepts such as “value” and “cost” (especially as they are applied to abstract terms like “culture” and “creativity”), as well as how you define a “college education” and what you expect it to accomplish. • This essay will require you to be careful and strategic in setting the parameters of your argument. Do not try to discuss every possible aspect of the subject. Choose your battles carefully. Avoid generalizing. Focus on concrete and specific issues. • Use the readings to your advantage, not only to help you develop your ideas but also as evidence to support your claims. • Notice how the writers position themselves in relation to the broader discussion on higher education. Try to follow their example.
Uber is largely hailed as the advent of the gig economy
Uber is largely hailed as the advent of the gig economy, which is the idea that people will not work for any one employer, but instead will work on projects for any variety of companies desiring their services. While creating a new type of entrepreneurship for individuals, it raises a host of new legal questions for companies around the law of agency.
An investment firm has asked you to evaluate Uber’s legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
Write an interoffice memo in which you:
- Summarize the main principles of agency.
- Analyze the circumstances under which Uber might be liable for the conduct of its drivers.
- Identify the steps Uber can take, if any, to limit its legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia is not an acceptable reference and proprietary Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Your news brief or memo should include a heading, summary statement, background and recommendations.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze and apply the concepts of ethical decision making, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
- Analyze and evaluate the employment-at-will doctrine and the statutory protections afforded employees.
- Analyze and evaluate laws and regulations relative to product safety, liability and representations.
- Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric.
Assignment 3: The Value of Fair Treatment in the Workplace
Due Week 10 and worth 280 points
The year is 2025 and the U.S. Supreme Court has declared all laws prohibiting discrimination in the workplace to be unconstitutional. In its opinion, however, the Supreme Court made clear that employers could voluntarily adopt policies and procedures prohibiting any and all forms of discrimination in the workplace. The Supreme Court also made clear that employers could voluntarily adopt hiring practices to diversify their workforces provided such practices did not include express preferences based upon immutable characteristics.
You have been hired as a consultant by a large, nationwide retailer to examine the business case for ensuring that all of the employee protections are found within the federal anti-discrimination laws, as well as the business case for prohibiting any other forms of discrimination in the workplace.
Write a four to six (4-6) page report in which you:
Analyze the benefits and costs of voluntarily prohibiting three to five (3-5) federal forms of discrimination prohibited under the federal anti-discrimination laws.
Discuss the benefits and costs of voluntarily prohibiting a form of discrimination not covered by any of the federal anti-discrimination laws.
State the benefits and costs of voluntarily adopting hiring and promotion practices designed to diversify the workforce.
Evaluate the ethical considerations of not voluntarily prohibiting the forms of discrimination laws examined in the first part of your report. Next, determine the ethical considerations of not voluntarily adopting hiring and promotion practices to diversify the workforce.
Provide a final recommendation to this retailer on whether or not they should ensure all, part, or none of the employee protections examined in the first part of your report. Your recommendation should also include whether or not the retailer should adopt hiring and promotion practices designed to diversify the workplace. Be sure to include a rationale for your recommendation along with an explanation for any rejections of contrary positions or other pertinent considerations.
Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
There are many services available for older adults related to psychosocial, cognitive, and emotional issues.
Identify a facility of your choice (based on where you would like to work in the health care field) and then identify the different mental health services available. What services does the facility offer to address the following areas:
Describe what you would recommend to fill the gap in service if the facility does not have a program that relates to one of the areas above.
Prepare an 8- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation outlining your findings. Your cover page and Reference Page does not count towards your minimum number of slides.
Include detailed speaker notes of minimum 100 words per slide. This should be what you would say during the presentation.
Create a one page handout of 350 words to accompany your presentation – this is what you would give to your participants that attended your presentation – information drawn from your presentation about the mental health services provided and importance.
Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
Use a minimum of 3 scholarly references to support your mental health services and their importance within the community.
- Sarah Kemble Knight records her observations and reactions while travelling from Boston to New York. Of all that she describes, what surprises you the most? What surprises you the least?
- Franklin supports and defends the Native Americans. What argument does he make on behalf of the Native Americans? What prompted him to write his piece? Do you find him reliable? Why or why not?
- Thomas Paine’s Common Senseis an argumentative essay. What argument is Paine making? How does he structure his argument? What do YOU think is his most persuasive point and why? NOTE: You MUST include the exact quote that you found the most persuasive.
- Write a 250-word (minimum) response to each writing prompt below. You must meet the minimum word count for each response to get full credit.
- Use only the assigned readings
- your responses must include quotes from each text used to get full credit. Be sure to quote, cite, and reference from the text(s) using appropriate APA format.
- texts can be found in the textbook.. “the norton anthology, american literature, beginnings to 1865, 9th shorter edition.”
- for questions one the reading is called “from the private journal of a journey from boston to new york in the year of 1704”
- for questions two you can find the answers in pages 208-268 in the texts i have told you to read.
- for questions three you can find the answers in pages 337-346 in the texts i have told you to read.
Module 4 discussion
For the module 4 discussion we will be looking at research design and validity. During the first week of the module you will be asked to describe internal, external, construct, and conclusion validity in THREE SENTENCES OR LESS each. Then, in three sentences or less, describe the difference(s) between validity and reliability. Finally, juxtapose the different types of research design covered in the module.
Unit V Professionalism in the Work place
Unit V PowerPoint Presentation This exercise involves analyzing a communication technique presentations. On a daily basis, it is often expected that professionals be proficient with presentations. For this exercise, prepare a PowerPoint presentation that serves as your own professional code of communication. This exercise allows you to analyze communication techniques and reflect upon your own communication skills. Include at least the following within the presentation: Present your professional communication style. Present your communication strengths. Present your communication opportunities how can you improve your communication skills? Present how you prefer to receive communication within a workplace. Present a professional workplace example of when a phone call might be better than an email. Present whether or not you believe that texting and instant messaging can be valuable in the workplace. Include at least three visuals (e.g., photographs, images, charts, or graphs). The presentation must contain at least twelve slides. Use the key terms in the textbook to guide your presentation. For some guidance toward preparing presentations in PowerPoint, click here to access a video with helpful tips. Be sure to save all of your work in your presentation file before submitting it in Blackboard for grading.
Required Argument Paper Writing Prompts (2 1/2 pages each in one document in MLA format with a Works Cited on page 6 or later):
- “Write a short essay in which you consider Ismene as a foil for Antigone. How do Ismene and Antigone differ in their understandings of their roles as women and in their sense of their duty to dead and living family members? Which character do you find most sympathetic? Which character do you think Sophocles intends you to find most sympathetic?”
- “Review the “Before You Read” entry on Sophocles’ Theban plays and then read the first play, chronologically, in the saga, Oedipus the King. Write a . . . response paper on the connections and discrepancies you notice between these plays. What themes and concerns do the plays have in common? Do you notice similarities between Oedipus and Creon? Oedipus and Antigone? Do the plays seem to have similar or different ideas about the individual’s duties to the state, to family, and to the gods? What is the role of the chorus in each play? Are characters that appear in both plays (Teiresias and Creon) depicted consistently?”
Accounting and Finance
Who is going to determine the tasks that need processes and policies and procedures? You are. Create a spreadsheet that lists financial, accounting and related processes, policies and procedures that need to be developed or reviewed. Divide them by system areas: Books & Records, Finance, Sales, Marketing, Operations, and Administration — back office and personnel. Here are some to get you started.
Books & Records: Handling checks, Preventing fraud, booking barters, paying bills, collections
Sales: Pricing discounts, contract negotiations, bulk sales – off invoice, taking a pre payment, handling cash, creating contracts
Marketing: Outsourcing graphics
Administration: opening for business (cash drawer etc.), salary determination, benefits packages, insurance
(Minimum list 110)
MT480 Discussion Board
Is Positive Beta Better than Negative Beta? A Beta factor represents risk in a financial instrument or commodity. Explain the reasons for changes in beta and explain if one should be more concerned with a negative versus positive factor. Be sure to reference volatility. Please provide an example of negative Beta.
The daily market transactions for treasury instruments are in the billions. The current average daily volume of “Treasuries” is approximately $150 billion. Like you, corporations may have extra cash to invest. In this case, you, as a finance manager, are considering investing $50,000 in either a Treasury bill that you will renew every 6 months or investing in a 5-year Treasury note that you will hold until maturity. Current interest rates are expected to increase. Would you invest in the Treasury bill or Treasury note? Discuss your reasoning.
Dimensions of Nursing Written Assignment
For this writing assignment, complete the Information Technology Self-Assessment Tool. When completed review and determine at least three new goals you would like to achieve. Submit your completed form with a brief description of your experience and comfort level with the use of technology not only in your Program but as a practicing nurse.
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates
please send me the word document by uploading the file here. It has to be in APA format.
Marketing Problem Discussion Post
For your Main Post, identify a MARKETING PROBLEM related to any one of the 4 P’s of Marketing (Product, Price, Place, Promotion) that you may be interested in studying. See Figure at the bottom of this page, or do a search for “4 P’s of Marketing” if you need a refresher to help you understand the 4 P’s.
You will select any one big company or brand we all are familiar with. It is preferred that you select a product that you currently use. You will then provide the following information in your Main Post ….
- What is the Industry in which you have identified the problem? Provide details on the product/brand related to the industry. Why did you choose this industry?
- What is the Marketing Problem? Is this problem related to Product, Price, Place, Promotion, or a combination of 4 P’s? The marketing problem needs to be significant. Give specifics in the problem statement. Use information from Chapter 2 and cite page numbers where you refer to characteristics of the problem.
My problem relates to marketing next version of iPhone to females 20-35 years to give a competitive advantage to Apple. This provides an opportunity to gain market share (page 16)
(Note: Do NOT copy the same type of question related to Apple iPhone which is provided to you as an example so you can understand the assignment. Come up with something original and creative on your own)
- Would you classify this problem as best solved by Exploratory, Descriptive or Causal Research? Why? Provide details as well as page numbers from the textbook to help other students understand why you have classified the problem in above category?
- Provide marketing research strategies mentioned in Ch. 2 or 3 that you will use to solve the problem.
- How will you know you have been successful in solving the problem?
Your Main Post should be minimum of 250 words and should be posted by Sunday @ 11:59 pm.
- You need to select one topic from the list below.
- Sexting in adolescence and adulthood
- Loneliness among older adults living in residential care
- The effectiveness of student support services on health and wellbeing for university students
- Addressing the issue of boredom in schools
- Attitudes towards same-sex marriage
- Addressing the problem of juvenile delinquency.
- Title page
Include a brief title, your name, the instructor’s name, the subject code, date and word count.
- Introduction (suggested word count: 200)—Criterion 1
Present the relevant background information for the research project. Introduce the general field of research, definitions of key terms, then narrow to the specific area of your research project. This section should lead logically to either a gap in the existing research or the research problem that you believe needs to be addressed.
- Literature review (suggested word count: 400)—Criterion 1
Provide relevant past research studies that you found in your review of the literature. Highlight the major issues, gaps in the research and the need for your particular research (i.e., ‘Here is what we caninfer, and here is what we cannot yet infer—or cannot yet infer with confidence—and why’). You will also need to highlight where your research overlaps and differs from existing research.
- Aims (suggested word count: 100)—Criterion 2
Present the research question and/or hypotheses you will investigate and answer in order to fill the gap in the research or address the research problem.
- Significance of the research (suggested word count: 200)—Criterion 1
Outline how your research will make a change to an area of research or respond to a particular problem. In particular, highlight the:
- theoretical contributions, and
- practical outcomes.
- Proposed research methodology (suggested word count: 400)—Criterion 3
Describe and justify the research methodology. (Use the future tense to describe what you will do.) Address the following:
- Sampling method (e.g. random, non-random)
- Methodology (e.g. quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods)
- Design framework (e.g. experimental, non-experimental)
- Data collection method(s) (e.g. tests, questionnaires, interviews, focus groups, observations, existing data), and
- Ethical considerations.
- Scope and problems (suggested word count: 200)—Criterion 4
Define the breadth of the research topic. In this section, you will also identify any limitations or potential problems that may occur throughout the project.
- References (not included in word count)—Criterion 5
Include a reference list in APA style. It should be presented on its own page with a separate heading. You may find the APA quick guide(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Teen Suicide: Impact of Bullying Teens
In this assignment include: (1) Definition of issue or problem, (2) scope & magnitude, (3) individuals affected, (4) history & background, (5) resources & barriers, and (6) impacts [economic, social, & political
You have just been hired as a new Vice President of quality and safety for a full-service 600-bed government healthcare organization. Within your first month on the job, the national security threat level has been raised to Imminent, which means there is a credible, specific, and impending terrorist threat against the United States, and your facility may be directly impacted. The Chief Executive Officer has requested an immediate six to eight-page report of your proposal for handling such a situation.
Note: You may create and /or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a 6-8 page paper in which you:
- Examine the existing procedures related to at least four (4) of the ten (10) essential public health services. Focus on the principal effects that these procedures will have on your hospital during the emergency.
- Specify the importance of continuing to evaluate patients, as stipulated by the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA), during the emergency.
- Detail three (3) measures that you would use in order to maintain the electronic medical record system during the emergency.
- Defend your position on the decision to accept health insurance during the emergency as a potential source of income for the facility. Provide support with at least three (3) examples that illustrate your position.
- Analyze the extent to which this emergency might affect the quality of care provided to the patients and the unimpeded operation of the organization.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
ECO100 – Principles of Economics
Assignment 2: Final Report
Due Week 10, worth 200 points
This assignment is aligned to this course outcome:
- Apply macroeconomic concepts to current and personal economic events and decisions.
In addition to writing about macroeconomic concepts, it’s equally important to be able to convey your understanding of these concepts by communicating them to others. In the workplace you might do this by writing briefs (like you did for Assignment 1), creating presentations, or writing reports for your manager or team.
This Final Report assignment will be a Word document (approximately 3 pages) that builds off your previous Economic Brief and selected industry.
For this assignment, you’ll examine at least one of the macroeconomic indicators or policies below within the context of the industry you have previously selected.
- GDP growth
- Unemployment rates
- Inflation rates
- Interest rates
- International trade policy and issues related to trade balances, trade restrictions, etc.
- Government fiscal policy and issues related to taxation, government spending, and budget deficits
- FED (central bank) monetary policy and issues related to the FED’s mission to stabilize the economy
Macroeconomic Resources for Industry and Economy
These resources are available to help you find the size and growth rate of your industry in the U.S. economy and/or relative to GDP:
- Real GDP – Click on Section 1, then table 1.1.6 (click on MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
- % change in Real GDP – Click on Section1, then table 1.1.1 (click on MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
- GDP by Industry – 2008 to 2017 annual data (click on MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
- % change in GDP by industry – 2008 to 2017 annual data (click on MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
These resources are available to help you measure and track macroeconomic indicators and outcomes of macroeconomic policies:
- Unemployment rates – Data is from Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov).
- Inflation rates as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Data is from Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov).
- % Change in Real Exports and Imports – Click on Section 4, then table 4.2.1 (click on MODIFY to change the year range and frequency). Data is from Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
- Government receipts, expenditures, and savings – Click on Section 3, then table 3.1 for total government and table 3.2 for federal government. (Click on MODIFY to change the year range and frequency.) Data is from the Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov).
- FED Funds Interest Rates. Data is from Trading Economics (tradingeconomics.com).
- To begin this assignment, recall the industry you selected in Assignment 1.
- Use the industry GDP resources above to assess the size and growth rate of this industry.
- Next, identify a newsworthy macroeconomic indicator or policy that may impact your selected industry. Use the macroeconomic resources above to find patterns and trends.
- It will also be important to review relevant chapters from The Little Book of Economics, the OpenStax: Principles of Macroeconomics chapter readings, and your prior discussion board questions and responses.
Prepare a Final Report that is approximately two to three (2-3) pages long in which you:
- Assess your selected industry’s relative size and growth rate in the economy.
- Identify at least one newsworthy macroeconomic indicator or policy that is important for the industry to monitor, e.g., GDP, unemployment, inflation rates, interest rates, trade policy, government taxation and spending decisions, and/or FED decisions.
- Explain why this macroeconomic indicator or policy is important and how it may impact your selected industry.
- Describe a recent trend in the macroeconomic indicator or policy. Include a graph, chart, or table that illustrates the observed trend.
- Conclude with a forecast for the industry based on whether the trend identified in part 4 is expected to continue. Provide support for your conclusion.
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different compared to other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You’ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.) o Your brief should include a cover page.
- o Your brief should be two to three (2-3) pages in length (not including the cover page), double-spaced, 12-point font.
- o Your report should include a minimum of two (2) references/citations in the text.
Assignment 2 Rubric
|Grading for this assignment will be based on the quality of your responses in addressing each of the points below, using the following rubric: Points: 200
|Assignment 2: Final Report
|Meets Minimum Expectations 60–69% D
Below 60% F
1. Assesses the size and/or growth rate of the industry relative to the national economy.
|The student correctly and thoroughly assesses both the relative size and relative growth rate of the industry in the national economy.
|The student correctly assesses the size and/or growth rate of the industry in the national economy. Excludes some minor details.
|The student partially assesses the size and/or growth rate of the industry in the national economy. Excludes major details.
|The student attempted to assess the size and/or growth rate of the industry in the national economy.
|The student did not assess the size of the industry or its growth rate in the national economy.
2. Identifies at least one newsworthy macroeconomic indicator or policy that the industry should monitor.
|The student correctly identifies one or more macroeconomic indicators or policies that the industry should monitor and provides strong supporting details.
|The student correctly identifies a macroeconomic indicator or policy that the industry should monitor and provides strong supporting details.
|The student correctly identifies a macroeconomic indicator or policy that the industry should monitor but does not provide sufficient supporting details.
|The student attempted to identify a macroeconomic indicator or policy that the industry should monitor. No sufficient supporting details were provided.
|The student did not identify a macroeconomic indicator or policy that the industry should monitor.
3. Explains why the macroeconomic indicator or policy selected in part 2 is important and how it may impact the industry.
|The student correctly and thoroughly explains why the macroeconomic indicator and/or policy in part 2 is important and how it may impact the industry.
|The student correctly explains why the macroeconomic indicator and/or policy in part 2 is important and how it may impact the industry. Excludes minor details.
|The student partially explains why the macroeconomic indicator and/or policy in part 2 is important and how it may impact the industry. Excludes major details.
|The student attempted to explain why the macroeconomic indicator and/or policy in part 2 is important and/or how it may impact the industry.
|The student did not explain why the macro-economic indicator and/or policy in part 2 is important or how it may impact the industry.
4. Describes a recent trend in the macro-economic indicator or policy in part 2. Includes a graph, table, or chart that illustrates the observed trend.
|The student correctly and thoroughly describes a recent trend in the macro-economic indicator and/or policy in part 2. Includes a graph, table, or chart that illustrates the observed trend.
|The student correctly describes a recent trend in the macro-economic indicator and/or policy in part 2. Includes a graph, table, or chart that illustrates the observed trend.
|The student partially describes a recent trend in the macro-economic indicator and/or policy in part 2. Includes a graph, table, or chart that may or may not illustrate the observed trend.
|The student attempted to describe a recent trend in the macroeconomic indicator and/or policy in part 2. No graph, table, or chart that illustrates the trend was provided.
|The student did not describe a recent trend in the macro-economic indicator and/or policy in part 2.
No graph, table, or chart that illustrates the trend was provided.